Saturday, August 14, 2010

I drove to Estes Park, and all I got was a broken heart

Lauren, Peg, and I took an exceedingly scenic drive to Estes Park, Colorado, along Highway 36 out of Boulder. Estes Park is home to the Rocky Mountain National Park Headquarters, The Stanley Hotel (known as The Overlook Hotel in Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining), and several upscale ski resorts.

Needless to say, the drive was gorgeous--foothills turning into mountains, mountainsides covered in mature pine trees, and cool, crisp mountain air.Toward the end of the drive, I was beginning to fall in love with the area. The chill wind began to bring a drop in temperature, and the outside air just beyond the open window of our black Jeep smelled of strong pine trees, pure lumberjack towns where everything is simultaneously of the hip man and the everyman, and the cool breezes of Louisiana holidays. I find myself thinking, "This is where I want to live for the rest of my life!"

... And then, we arrived in Estes Park. There was never a greater congregation of all things touristy and hokey--Grandma's Mountain Cookies, Mrs. Something's Fudge Shoppe, and Mr. Something's Salt Water Taffy. As we slowly drove through the downtown area, a great feeling of loss began to swell within my chest. This place sucks!

Still, I know it's out there! Perhaps the next town over? Or the next town? Or the next town? I will find it! Who's with me!?

Either way, I think next time we'll stick with the National Forest--its bears, elks, and dirt--as opposed to the actual town--its fudge, caramel apples, and people-packed streets.

4 comments:

  1. You sure you werent in Hannibal, Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are out exploring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most exciting thing is that I finally figured out how to post a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. I blacked out.

    Could you point me to a cottage on a deserted, deforested hill, equipped with an oddly world-class hot tub room?

    ReplyDelete